Abortion is a common medical process that a woman can undergo at a certain moment in their lives. Until now the subject is extremely taboo, encircled with political oppression, social pressures, and other religious shame.
This regrettable situation leaves women feeling alone and scared when considering, during and following the Pregnancy termination by pills or surgical procedure – mostly when they need more support. It is very important to support yourself or a loved one to heal from an abortion physically.
Here are some tips that can help you to recover yourself physically after an abortion:
- Avoid moderate to intense exercise for a week following abortion. Doing gentle yoga, Pilates or going for a walk may help as soon as you feel you have the energy for it. Shun performing inversions in yoga or anything that feels like a strain.
- Avoid having intercourse or insertion of anything inside the vagina at least for a week, or till the time your doctor tells you to.
- If you are vomiting or having nausea, your doctor may prescribe you anti-nausea medicines. A woman may find that salty crackers, ginger ale, ginger tea, or dry toast can alleviate the nausea. You should eat frequent, small, fresh meals and shun excessively sugar or fatty foods.
- In case, you are anemic or are losing lots of blood, you will need to increase your blood. Consume iron supplements with meals and particularly with something vitamin- C rich, like tomatoes or orange juice. Vegetarians can have blood nourishing, iron-rich, and fortifying foods, such as dark leafy greens, lentils, berries, carob, beets, goji berries, dried apricots and figs, and any whole foods that you carve. It is not a time for junk food or skipping on meals.
- Take rest as much as you can. Let yourself to sleep 12 hours a night if that is what your body is asking for. This doesn’t mean you are lazy but you’re healing.
- Comfort yourself or your loved one with a hot water bottle or heating pad. Keep flowers, candles, non-aspirin, natural light, aromatherapy, privacy, soothing, and a box of tissues, uplifting music, and anything else that makes you feel totally at peace.
- Ask your partner, a friend, or a massage therapist to get a gentle massage your lower back with soothing oils and the belly. An entire body, back or foot massage can be spectacular for soothing your nerves.